Skip to main content

What's Your Job?


I read an article once that featured Richard Robinson, the CEO of Scholastic Books. In the article Robinson tells about a time when he was visiting their distribution center in Jefferson City, Missouri. As he was touring the facility, he started talking to a man driving a forklift, and during that conversation, he asked him, "What is your job? What are you doing here?" I'll never forget what the forklift driver said.

"My job is to help children love to read." 

What a statement! If Robinson was asking us the same question in our own workplaces, how many of us would have responded with such a statement? Most of us would respond with something along the lines of "I'm a teacher," "I'm a coach," "I'm a forklift driver," or "I'm an insurance salesman."

All too often we allow our job titles to define us. It's easy to do because most of us take great pride in our job titles. I know I am proud of being a teacher and a coach because I truly believe education is one of the most noble professions in the world. However, I have also come to realize that "teacher" or "coach" is just a job title.  It is not "what I do" or "who I am."
"Coach football players, not football." - Kirk Fridrich, Head Football Coach, Union High School
Coach Fred reminds us of this idea on a fairly regular basis. We are "football coaches" by title, but that is not our job.  Our job is to love those kids and use football as a tool to teach them how to "Live Like A Champion." It's not about the sport. It's about the relationships that we build with those young men.

I think we can apply this same concept to whatever we do.  Don't teach math. Teach students. Don't sell insurance. Help people make sound decisions about their financial futures. That may just sound like semantics, but I assure you that it isn't. By being intentional about the words we use when we talk to ourselves, we can change the way we think.

Why is this important? It's all about purpose. If we go to work thinking that all we are going to do is "make the sale" or "teach the curriculum," what contributions are we really making to the world at the end of the day? We are made for so much more than that.

Instead, go to work thinking that you are going to make a difference in somebody's life each and every day. None of my students will go home after one of my AP Psychology classes saying "Man, you should have heard Coach Croy explain Seligman's theory of learned helplessness today!" They will, however, go home talking about how they feel when they leave my classroom. To me, that's the most important part. If I can inspire my students, show them that I love them, and show them that their value is not found in their test scores, they are much more likely to learn whatever it is that I'm trying to teach them.

Now, what about you? What's your job? What's your purpose? Are you just going through the motions as dictated by your job description, or are you intentionally making a difference in people's lives?

If you are the leader of an organization, how confident are you that everyone in the organization has bought into your mission like the forklift driver did at Scholastic Books? If your people haven't bought in, how can you make it happen?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I hope you got something out of it. If you found it worthwhile, please share this blog with your friends.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

If you need some simple ideas on how you can start making a difference today? Read my previous blog: Everybody Makes A Difference.


Comments

Popular Posts